Tuesday 12 August 2014

Interview with André Varela

André Varela is a dreamer, talented photographer with so much to share through his beautiful photographs,
I first came across André's work on Flickr a while ago and became a fan and absolutely loved his collaboration with Tim Andrews, so after contacting André for an interview, he answered few questions,
here you go :)




Introduce yourself
My name is André Varela and I am a 29 year old conceptual/portrait photographer from Portugal.



How long have you been doing photography?
I have been doing photography for two years now.



What type of camera do you use?
I use a Canon 6D.


What is your ideal camera (doesn't have to be real)
My ideal camera would be a medium format camera.



If you had to choose one lens what would it be?
Maybe the 16-35 from Canon.



Do you prefer natural light or flash?
Natural light always!


Indoors or outdoors?
Depends on the concept.



Self portraits or models?
It also depends on the concept.



Do you like working with models? Can you name your favorite model?
I like working with models but I don’t usually work with them. If I had to say, my favorite model is my girlfriend without a doubt. Always ready for my crazy ideas.


most of your photos are in black and white, do think it's more effective?
I really love black and white because it gives an “alien” feel to the photos. It is not normal for your eyes to see in black and white and that immediately gives a mystic feeling to an image.



How do you feel about cropping images?
When it’s needed I don’t see any problem.


You seem to have a "thing" for expanded images, why is that?
I love the feeling of empty space. And sometimes it helps me get a scene I can’t get with only one shot.



You do a lot of composites, does that mean you're a dreamer?
It kinda does. And I AM a dreamer.


Do you like using actions?
I only use actions I create and even that is rare.



If you could be anything other than a photographer what would you be?
Owner of a gallery.


When you first started, how did you learn photoshop? can you name books/ websites that helped you to be where you are today.
I learned thru the internet. Youtube is your friend. Also Phlearn.


What are you still learning?
Everything really. We are always learning.



If you can photograph anyone or anything in the world who/what would it be?
I would love to photograph Mickey Rourke and Leonardo Dicaprio, in Iceland.



What inspires you the most?
Music. Always music.


How can you describe your style?
Most people describe it by being dark, nostalgic and sad.


Did photography change you? Your vision? The way you see the world?
Yes. I guess it does to everyone. We all learn to see in another way.



If you had magical powers (breath underwater/fly/be invisible) what kind of pictures would you be taking?
I wish I could teleport. That would be my favorite power.



If you could meet with any famous person dead or alive who would it be? What would you say or do?
I would love to talk with Ghandi. And I would love to eat some seafood with Stephen King.


If your life was turned into a movie what kind would it be? How long would it last? And who's going to play your character?
Wow…This is a fantastic question. I guess it would be a heroes journey kind of movie. I would love for Leonardo Dicaprio and Bradley Cooper to be in that movie!


How would people describe you?
Funny, serious and mysterious.


If someone asked you how can i be you, what would your answer be?
I don’t think there is a way to be me.


Can you kindly share a before and after :)
you can take this one 


Find  André at: Flickr-- Facebook-- Blog -- Twitter -- Website

No comments:

Post a Comment